Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Startracker

Technical User
Jul 5, 2002
US
Doing research before buying a new HDD to replace my dead Deathstar. What's the opinion of HDDs with Fluid Dynamic motors vs. the tried and true Ball Bearing ones?

Personally I run both kinds (Ibm Deathstars and Maxtor "L" series) and I don't really "hear" any difference. We are always looking for new members at our computer forums: Please come join our community too.

I have a Seagate Barracuda IV with fluid bearings and can say it is completely silent.
As for reliability, this drive in particular has the lowest returns rate of all according to my local parts retailer (also a mate of mine, so he wouldn't lie)
I know the IBM GXP 120's have a particularly good price performance ratio but my recent bad experience with a 45gig GXP 75 has left a very bitter taste of IBM's drive products and there very poor after sales service.
But back to your question, fluid bearings are the way of the future and with no bad reports so far the technology looks sound and reliable. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back