Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new harddrive can't put os on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kell3625

Programmer
Jan 6, 2001
US
i just bought a 60gb hd. i didn't have an os to put on it so i hooked it up as a slave in the meantime.. i thought maybe i could copy all the files over to it and that would work but i found out about all that system registry stuff.. i did this on a comp w/ a restore disk for the os so it was really specific for that comp. anywayz.. it had partitioned the drive 3 times.. and i deleted all the partitions and formatted the new hd. w/ it being primary.. then i used 95 disks and installed that os. when i booted up it said there were registry problems and that i had to restart.. it did this every time.. so i formatted again.. reinstalled.. now it does the starting win95 screen and then goes to the black screen and says "while initializing device vxdldk: windows protection error. You need to restart." it does this alot or it will say that windows wasn't loaded properly last time so go to safe mode or normal.. well for safe mode it opens a blue screen while running windows.. and says "a fatal exception oe has occured at 0137:bff65681" and i push a key to continue then it says 0137:bff857da for normal mode bootup and also logged.. it says that windows protection error.. sorry this is so long i just wanted to explain the whole situation =) thanks for whatever help you can give..

A few things I didn't see mentioned and are important to know:
Did the BIOS see the correct size of the drive?
Did fdisk create the correct size of the drive?
Which version of Windows 95: 95, 95A, 95B, or 95C?

it came with a disk to make it see that, but i didn't need to use it .. it saw all of it.. and fdisk did too.. and 95 version.. umm .. i am pretty sure just win95 because its disks and it doesn't say anything about it being a, b, or c

The version of Win95 is a big issue. If it is on floppy disks, it is the first version [never saw later versions on floppy] and it will not in any way work with partitions larger than 2GB [2047MB]. And 30 partitions of 2GB are impossible as there is only 24 drive letters available, C through Z [A and B are reserved for floppy drives].

The Drive Overlay disk that came with the drive is for use when the BIOS cannot see the correct parameters of the drive and has to be 'lied' to.

If the file dates on the fisks are 7/11/95, it is the first version.

windows 95 ver b could use 8 Meg partitions and fat32! If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

How much memory are you using? Win95/98 shouldnt be used with over 384 Meg. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It is kind of like going back to the stoneage to use one of the first versions of Windows 95. It was really designed to be used with about a 2 gig partition. This is not a wise thing to do. There is a danger that some of the win95 disks are corrupted by now. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back