Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New hard drive on W10 upgraded machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

sggaunt

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
GB
I'm getting some clues that my hard drive is about to fail,e.g Windows running 'Fixing your hard drive' at start up once or twice, odd sector related messages in event viewer, that sort of thing.
A bit like HAL in 2001.

The PC was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (Home edition).
Now my question is what hoops do I have have to go through to to fit a new drive then reinstall 10. Thinking about licencing here the product key sticker will be for the Windows 7 original I guess.
On the Activation windows I have this
Product Key 'Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement'

I would of course have to do a full install and I have downloaded all possible permutations 32N,64N,32,64 (This is a 64bit PC)

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain
That's just perfectly normal Paranoia everyone in the universe has that: Slartibartfast

You don't need to reinstall, you could just clone your old hard disk. I've used CloneZilla before but apparently EaseUS is good too. I've heard good things in the past about Macrium Reflect but that site is blocked by my work firewall as 'high risk' and the Wikipedia page for it has recently been deleted, so maybe it's no longer to be trusted.

When I used CloneZilla it was to clone my mechanical hard drive to a new SSD. I downloaded their live CD image, burned it, booted from it, plugged in both old and new hard drives and cloned one to the other. It took a while but was pretty straightforward, although it was a few years ago so I can't give you full instructions.

As a side note, if you're not currently using an SSD now is a good time to switch.

Nelviticus

Really simple. Get a Samsung SSD (they are great drives) and use their free cloning software.
Macrium - I use it and it is a good product. I find no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the product or the web site. Not sure what that was all about.

Now, if your hard drive IS failing, the clone job may fail in that Windows may be damaged/unbootable after cloning. Or it may leave some data transferred but corrupted. So, your path to success if not guaranteed as if you had a healthy source drive.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

30 days after you upgraded to Windows 10, your Windows 7 key became a Windows 10 key. If you need to do a clean install, use the key that was used for the upgrade process during Windows 10 install and it should go through.

This machine runs much slower and clunkier than my other machine which had a full replace install of W10 and is about 3 years older.
Several sources suggest this is because the in place install over W7 leaves a lot of stuff behind.
So I don't want to do a clone if at all possible. The upgrade is more that 30 days old.

This article suggests it should simply reactivate?
How to Geek:--
"Microsoft has never actually wanted to explain exactly how the hardware-based Windows activation process works. Just replacing your hard drive or upgrading your graphics card shouldn’t cause a problem"
especially if rclark250 is correct.

That's just perfectly normal Paranoia everyone in the universe has that: Slartibartfast

Microsoft Will Now Let Windows 10 Upgraders Use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Product Key to Activate

Clean Install Windows 10

Perhaps your machine would have benefitted from a Clean Install of Windows 10? That way it would not have to carry across the excess baggage from earlier Windows.

A Clean Install of Windows 10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Update:
Installing Windows 10N 64 bit (UK). It would not accept the original product key from the side of the box.
Getting the display drivers now, soon see if I can activate.
I am assuming the original online install was the N version, but I don't see any way to find out?

Hmm it's showing Windows 10 N on the about screen, I guess it wasn't before don't know if that will cause a problem we will see!

Depends if you use media such as video or music very much ...

I didn't work Mike, would not accept the product key or set up online.
I have forced boot from DVD and now installing 10 (No N) and it did accept the Key! Its going to archive my previous install rather than just replacing it grrr.
Not sure what will happen when it gets to a re-boot step as the BIOS is still set to boot from DVD, might have to jump in with Del Key?

You only boot once from the DVD via the "Press any Key" options during Setup and that is the first time that option is offered. After that all subsequent "Press any Key" options need to be ignored. When Setup has finished with the DVD you can remove it.

Cheers linney, all up and running now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back