Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New hard drive not accessible in Windows98

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfrost

Technical User
Jun 15, 2000
US
I just installed a new hard disk, partitioned it and formatted it and everything worked fine in Windows98 (both old and new drives accessible). Then I copied all files from old hard disk onto the new and reformatted the old to clean out the clutter. Then I reinstalled Windows98Se onto the old drive. Everything works fine, but now I can't see the new drive in Windows.<br><br>The BIOS is picking it the new drive, but neither Windows nor DOS allow me to access it.<br><br>Any ideas what I should do? Thanks.

Why did you reinstall 98 on the old drive? Your newer one should be presumably faster, and is where the OS should be&nbsp;&nbsp;based. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Did you try accessing the disk after you booted the computer using a win98 boot disk? <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> I am interested in Mining Software, as well as Genetic Algorithms.

When you say you can't see the drive...are you referring to Explorer or MyComputer? Does the drive show up in device manager?<br><br>It sounds as though something is amiss with the partition info on that drive. Did you use fdisk or some other utility to partition the drive? What is the partition scheme of the drive? Can you use fdisk and see the drive from Dos? Are you using any Boot Manager software?<br><br><br>dxd<br><br>

Perhaps obvious, but often overlooked.&nbsp;&nbsp;are the Master and Slave settings comatible with what you want to do?&nbsp;&nbsp;2 Masters or 2 Slaves are not a good configuration.&nbsp;&nbsp;You need one of each per controller.<br><br>Good luck.

Sys-admin, if the the jumpers were wrong, the BIOS wouldn't detect the drives. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

1-did you made the new hard drive 32 and the old 16?<br>2-did you partitioned the newer 1 ?again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back