Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new hard drive in a compaq

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythology2

Technical User
Oct 27, 2003
HK
I am upgrading a compaq pc 5700 series.Specs are:-

p3 processor 500/100
96 mb ram
1996 bios date.

The system had a Western Digital 15gig H.D. which failed.
I purchased a new 40gig Western Digital H.D. The new H.D. is the same spec as the old one except for capacity.
I've installed the H.D. and booted with a boot disk.
Using FDISK i've tried to format and set active, but FDISK sees the new H.D. as 7926mb.

The jumper settings are correct on the new H.D.

Any help?

Thanks.

Check Compaq site for a BIOS upgrade. Old BIOS's won't "see" past 32gig. When it tries, you can get all kinds of wierd readings. Also check the pin set-up for different head (15/16) and size settings.

No option for 15/16 head.
Been to HP, but no bios update seems to be available.

In the bios there is no option to detect H.D.! Is this compaq just being annoying again?

Hi,

I had this problem before, are you using Win98?
FDISK has a problem dealing with large disks.

which 5700 do you have? The 5700N, 5700T or 5700nl? There is a bios upgrade, which they call a rompaq for the 5700N that recognizes drives over 30GB.

I am using the win98 boot disk with FDISK, but with other H.D.'s i've had no problem. Is there an alternative to FDISK that I can use?

I'll have to go look at the machine again to get the exact model.

Yes there is, stick in a win2k or XP CD and boot from that.

You might need to set the cd-rom drive enabled in the boot order of the bios.

Maybe the Fdisk version is too old and doesnt see large disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back