Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new hard drive gets corrupted also

Status
Not open for further replies.

adilux

MIS
Dec 14, 2004
US
i had this problem a while back, but just thought if someone knew how to fix it.

I have a hard drive that's corrupted with bad sectors, so i ghost the hard drive to a brand new one and now the new one is messed up. I reformatted the new drive but it still has problems. I can't do a fresh install on the new drive successfully, it fails somewhere along the initial copying of Windows.

i figured doing a low level format on the drive would do the trick, but same problems afterwards.

any ideas?

That might be a faulty controller or just coincidence. What brand/make is the drive, wich software did you use to llf, what errormsg. come up when checking the drive with manufactors tool?

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

it's a seagate 160Gb IDE drive
I used the seatools to do the llf

can't remember the error message

when i hook up the drive as a USB external drive, the drive does not show up in device manager, but the drive does spin.

New drive? 160gig?

Could be a memory issue....try using just one stick.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Have you tried changing the IDE cable? Make sure it's an 80-way not a 40-way.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Run memory test first.

You then need to run the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic utility against both drives, trying a different cable and running 2 test on each drive (with different cables - for a total of 4 tests) wouldn't be a bad idea. That will give you conclusive results. Run the short test first - if errors found, run the long test.

Both test uitlities are available on this free CD:

(download is NOT the yellow box near the top - further down the page.)

Ben - that's a great link, but..... A lot of the links give you software that runs in windows (won't work for non-bootable machine) AND/OR a link to software that runs off a bootable FLOPPY disk (which not many people have any more).

Plus the UBCD has all the tools you would need in one and for free and it runs from an optical drive which everybody has. Don't get me wrong - that link has all the info and I've used it before, but generally when people are having hard drive problems, I like to test them OUTSIDE of windows and that's especially true in a no-boot situation where it's a must.

goom, that is the reason why I stated 'or'...

I personally have one tool for HDD testing, and that is SeaTools (ISO CD Image), on a bootable USB stick...

PS: I also have HBCD and UBCD as images on that stick also, along with PartedMagic...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back