Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New found tip for strokes and fills (for me anyways) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

operamatic

Technical User
Apr 7, 2004
CA
Hi all, don't know if this has been covered but you know how strokes are on the front of a fill? On Illy 10 and 11 (don't know for earlier versions), you can actually put it behind as well as multiple stroke or multiple fill & the coolest part.... define attributes, filters, overprints, etc. to the individual fills or strokes upon the same object.

With your object selected...Go to appearance window on an object and see that the stroke is above the fill in the window, now just drag the stroke below the fill and now the fill appears at proper dimension on the object on your screen. Now try adding different size strokes, or adding gradient fills with transparencies set to multiply and such.

Have fun playing with the settings on this one!

The Appearances palette is one of those often overlooked features. It's great for mixing spot colors together, for example. Your tip is another great use of this feature, well worth a star!

Cool, but what's the point of having multiple fills?

Also, is this going to RIP OK? The paranoid part of me fears what might happen when going to press with a file that is filled with such elaborate items. Has anyone had anyexperience with sending such files to press?

You know the color sliders? Unfortunately, you can't specify what those sliders are. So, for example, if you want to mix two pantones together and try out different mixes, you can't. That's where multiple fills comes in. It's a bit like Multi-Ink colors in Quark. Set 10% of pantone 300 over 50% pantone 123, and still have the option to go back and change it later.

The stroke tip from operamatic is another very good use of the Appearance palette. I've never seen either technique fail on a RIP. All it's doing is adjusting trapping information (overprint, knockout, etc). I don't know of any RIP that can't handle that. Anyone know any different?

Yeah mistercitizen it works fine on all rips that I've used.

Its really good to keep less items on your document, when dealing with trapping items you can do it all on one object

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back