Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Forum Software

DoubleDriveLine

Programmer
Feb 15, 2022
US
Cool this is the same forum software our Flight Simulator group just switched to. It should be a while before they get all of the kinks worked out of it. They keep popping up from time to time even after 3 months.

Personally, I do not like this software. It is ugly, hard to use, and clunky. The old TT software was a dream to use.

Further, this software errors out on some of my computers, where the old worked on ALL of my machines.

It looks like I am now limited in where I can view posts, whereas before I could view posts anywhere. The ONLY issue that I had with the old software was that the ONLY way I could post a reply for the last several years was by hacking TT. That has been fixed, though this fix looks more like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Your view posts issue is related to permissions assigned to user groups related to nodes. It is a result of a migration that went pretty well but not all that great in some aspects. They will be chasing those kinds of issues for at least a couple of weeks.

We migrated from our old software because it was way too insecure running on a discontinued OS (Centos 7) outdated php and mysql instances that could not be upgraded. My guess is the old TT server/software was in the same ball park. The options are migrate to new forum software that is supported running on supported server OS and related software (php, mariaDB/database software) or get hacked and lose it all. Eventually if you don't patch it you will lose it.

I talked to the owner of a air racing site a few years ago and that is what basically happened. They lost their whole database with no way to recover it. He had no offsite backups.

Hmmmm. If the old software was that insecure, one of two things should have happened years ago. 1) Never use it in the first place. 2) Fix it.

I have been viewing TT on 8 computers. So far I have tested three. This software works on this one, but not the other two.

Hmmmm. If the old software was that insecure, one of two things should have happened years ago. 1) Never use it in the first place. 2) Fix it.

I have been viewing TT on 8 computers. So far I have tested three. This software works on this one, but not the other two.
"Never use it in the first place" With that logic Windows 7 would never have been released. It wasn't until after end of life we found out it had a number of security flaws that were never going to get fixed. That was after years of great service and multiple patches.

No my guess is there are lots of software packages released with unknown bugs all the time. You can patch them but only if the product is still supported.

I know nothing about the old TT software product but to move away from the old software to this software there had to have been some important reasons. Nobody who manages boards on this level likes to make this kind of change. It is driven by necessity.

On the computers that don't work what operating systems are they and what browsers are you using. Also a description of what you see in the browser when you try to connect might be helpful.

Hi guys.
The old TT Site was running ColdFusion. TT (and associated sites) were purchased a little while ago, and while I don't have the whole skinny of what all happened, I would imagine that they wanted a site that was more current, more secure, and easier to manage. Who knows if they even had any coldfusion developers to tap.

I *do* know that the new management is attentive and listening to feedback, so expect other changes soon, like easier to find your forums and threads, and theming so it's not as difficult for older eyes (like mine).

I've been on TT for almost 21 years now... and a part of the "Round Table" for almost as long (I was invited by Dave to join the group... it's not a management group exactly, more of a consultant / feedback group I guess).

So hang tight... the forums and software is garnering more attention now under the new ownership than it did previously.

Thanks for being members, and let's keep it going strong!

Personally, I do not like this software. It is ugly, hard to use, and clunky. The old TT software was a dream to use.

Further, this software errors out on some of my computers, where the old worked on ALL of my machines.

It looks like I am now limited in where I can view posts, whereas before I could view posts anywhere. The ONLY issue that I had with the old software was that the ONLY way I could post a reply for the last several years was by hacking TT. That has been fixed, though this fix looks more like throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
If you would share the errors that you're getting, as well as what browser you're using and other relevant information, I will share that information with management.
I'm certain they want the site to work on all modern browsers. If there's an issue, I will alert them to it.

"Never use it in the first place" With that logic Windows 7 would never have been released. It wasn't until after end of life we found out it had a number of security flaws that were never going to get fixed. That was after years of great service and multiple patches.

No my guess is there are lots of software packages released with unknown bugs all the time. You can patch them but only if the product is still supported.
The more bloat there is in any software, the more bugs (and security issues) will appear seemingly on an EXPONETIAL scale. That probably is why modern programs have so many UNFIXABLE bugs, simply too many to fix. It also says something about today's coding environment - get it out the door, and spend months, years, decades chasing a never ending stream of bugs. Why not do it right the first time then forget about it? Hard to do normally, but damn near impossible with code bloat.

I have been programming for over 40 years, and most of the code I have seen is too complex and unfixable. And that has been true "forever."

It blows me out of the water when I see code 100 lines long that can be done in ONE debugged line. Fixing the 100 lines is almost impossible simply because fixing one thing usually breaks something else giving the coder lifetime job security.

For an example of bloated code, and my one-line solution, see this thread https://www.tek-tips.com/threads/how-to-calculate-friday-saturday-sunday-between-two-dates.1819470

It seems that some of the older posts that may not really be all that old are automatically locking further replies. That time frame number of days could probably be pushed out a few more months. One I opened on April 11th and had its last post July 25th is locked for posting and should be updated with new details.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back