Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Exchange server not showing in System Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsully

MIS
Sep 4, 2003
US
Maybe I am going about this the wrong way.

I have purchased a new server to replace my existing exchange server. I thought I could install windows and exchange, bring it into the domain, then migrate the user mailboxes over to the new server. Then have (or help) the users change the settings in outlook to point to the new server. However, it is not showing up in the Exchange System Manager.

I have looked at disaster recovery procedures and have to think that migrating from one existing and functional server to another shouldn't be that difficult.

Can someone tell me I am missing something really easy?

Both servers are running Server 2000 SP4 and Exchange 2000 with all updates

David

Users.....not just for breakfast anymore!!

Install windows, bring it into the domain, install Exchange into the same organisation.

That's the correct procedure - is that what you meant?

Yes that's what I meant. I must have mixed up my procedure somewhere. I tried it again and now I can see the new server in the System Manager. Thank you.

I guess at this point I could say what is not happening that I think should. OR I could just say what I am trying to do and ask for help....

I want to swap out my single Windows 2000 Server running Exchange 2000 for a new Windows 2000 server also running Exchange 2000. I thought it would be as simple as bringing the new server in the domain and moving the mailboxes or the storage group to the new server and redirecting Outlook to the new server. But things are not going as I believed they would.

Are there instructions or a standard procedure to accomplish this task? i wouldn't think it would be THAT complicated.

David

Yes! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you noveyron.

I guess I have my Saturday planned for me now.

Not sure if a star is appropriate since this didn't actually answer my original issue. But I think having the instructions will keep the initial problem from even happening. So I'll give it to you.

David

and that is why a star is the right thing in this case - it thanks someone for a valuable post. It doesn't necessarily mean they solved your problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back