Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3g06

MIS
Aug 28, 2012
US
Hello Guys,

I found this user Group and I hope that anyone can help to me. Currently, we are working on a citrix metaframe 4.5 environment and we would like to know if someone installed a new environment with XenApp 6.5 for 150 users that are located at 4 south america countries.

We thought that 4 servers using XenApp 6.5 would be fine.

1- Server WIndows 2008 R2 Server for XenAPP and Web Interface
2- Server Windows 2008 R2 Server for Licensing.
3- Server Windows 2008 R2 Server for Profiler Managemente
4- Server Windows 2008 R2 Server for SQL Server 2008 R2.

Anyone can help to me to know if the best fit for us?.

Thanks and regards,

Maybe it's me, but without knowing more about your environment and it's configuration I couldn't, in good-conscience, tell you anything.

1.No high availablity (HA), clustering, or failover?
2.Besides Citrix licensing are you planning on running something else on the license server? If not, it seems like a waste of resources.
3.What are the specs on the servers? Are these physical devices or VMs?
4.What kinds of apps/desktops are you serving from your XenApp server?

We have just rolled out the upgrade of 6.5 into our test, train, upgrade environment. Everything is a vm, including our provisioning servers, except the SQL servers. I don't have any real world experience to give, yet, but we have one server dedicated for all our licensing: Citrix, Terminal Services, etc. And the only part that's not in a HA or cluster is the license server, which has grace periods on the license serving.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks for asking. I would like to know if this design will be good for 150 users and I have published to Office 2010 and SAP Business One.
and Can I installed to remote desktop license and citrix license on the same web interface ?
Thanks!

Again, I have no real-world experience with XenApp 6.5 on Windows 2008, yet. However, my initial thought would be a max of about 100 users per server, but it all depends on the resources available on the server (ram, cpu, disk capacity, raid configuration, etc.) and how much load the users' session(s) put on the server. Personally, I'd have one more server than what is needed for the user load. For example, if it takes 3 servers for all the users to be connected and have satifactory performance, then I'd have 4. This way you can take down one server for maintenance and not impact the environment.

But you have to determine how many servers are required, as you're the one who knows the load that has to be supported to give your users acceptable performance. Every environment is different. Here is what Citrix says regarding the number of XenApp servers to deploy:

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back