Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Domain vs. Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmith20055002

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2006
US
I have a new client who has 10 old servers (Windows 2000 domain, with some 2003 servers and Exchange 2003), as well as 80 XP clients and less than 100 user accounts. Their existing domain is basically a mess with old servers and misconfigured systems. I am in the process of purchasing new Windows 2008 Servers. My question is could I simply install a new domain on the Windows 2008 Servers (including AD, DHCP, and WINS). Then put the new servers in place, migrate the user data using external HD’s, turn off the old servers, install Exchange 2007 on a New Windows 2008 Server (move the mailboxes over and continue using their existing email addresses and then join the existing XP clients to the new domain.
I normally would do an upgrade of the domain, but there is not much to savage in such a small user environment.
What issues may become a problem if I go with a new domain vs. an upgrade?

You could do that, but there is no reason to. You'd run into problems with people replying to mail from internal users (it won't work). It's also a crap load of work.

Implement the new servers and remove the bad ones. Clean up AD as needed. Much less work, much less impact to the users, much less headache.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back