Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Domain and DNS Server issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernst

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2001
ES
After reading through a couple pages of this forum, it seems like a lot of people are having trouble configuring a DNS Server to run in Win2k server.

Here's my problem. I recently purchased a domain through networksolutions, and I need to host a DNS server for it so people can access the server. I know thw WHOIS database takes a couple days to update, but I found an online nslookup script here in order to test if my DNS Server is working.

I've set up mydomain.com, but I want to set up a host called NS1.mydomain.com to serve as my DNS server. The sole item this server is going to resolve is mydomain.com, and I'll forward all other requests to my ISP.

I'm looking for help on how to configure this name server in order to have mydomain.com point to my DNS server, and all other requests are forwarded to my ISP. If I'm not clear on anything, just tell me and I'll provide all the information I can.

Mike

My experience is, it is much better to let your ISP handle the replication of top level domain records. You can still have your DNS server point to your Domain, and forward all unresolved DNS querys to your ISP for DNS resolution. If you plan to host your website internally, then give your ISP the IP address for your webserver and leave the business of Domain Server replication to the ISP. This is simple but most effective, unless you want to be an ISP yourself.

Please clarify....if your problem is not yet solved.

Your NT SERVER domain, if it is not a website host, should be something more like mynt.servername.xyz.

If this is true, then, what do you want to do from here?

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back