Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New DLT drive with BE 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mepperson

Technical User
May 31, 2002
US
I moved from an 8mm to a Quantum DLT7000 drive for my backups... The DLT has hardware compression built into the drive. Do I need to disable compression in BE under devices and the jobs. I remember having to do something like this, but can't remember.

Thanks
mike

There's an option in backup exec somewhere to use software compression or not, but I think the default option is to use software compression if hardware doesn't work... or something like that.
Just make sure that you're not using BOTH hw and sw compression. This can actually decrease the amount of data that you will be able to fit on the tape.
Use HW Comp. only.
Also, if you are backing up already compressed files (*.zip, *.rar, *.mp3, *.shn), this could also reduce the amount of data you can fit on a tape.
Think of it like this: You have a 5 page letter. You fold the papers up all nice and neat and put them into an envelope. Great, it's smaller! Well, if you put that envelope into another envelope, it will get bigger. Eventually you're going to need a bigger envelope and so on... it keeps getting bigger.

Well, I've rambled enough, I'm sick and trying to kill time waiting for my shift to end.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back