Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Distribution Point - Server Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerhardR

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2005
AT
Hi!

I created two new distribution points for our two locations. The one DP works fine - but for the other I receive alwas this messages: "The program for advertisement "RB1202C8 has not yet started because the content for the package "RB100059" - "ABCD" (version 1) has not been acquired. Possible cause: The content for this program must be downloaded into the computer’s cache, or the content could not be located.
Solution: If the program is being downloaded, no action is required. The program will start once the download has been successfully completed. If the content can not be located, ensure that a distribution point with this content is available for this computer."

The boundaries should be ok - what can be wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
Gerhard

in the sytems (heirarchy > site systems > right click on dp in ? and go properties.

have you set it to be act as a distribution point, or management point, or anything else?>

Neil J Cotton
UCLan Ba-SYS Development and Project Manager
NJC Technical Productions
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions
Member of the IETF CAPWAP Work Group

hi!

only distribution point - but now i've added the site boundaries for this location (under protected DP) - maybe it works now.

Just checking you hadn't enabled it as a management point for it's self, as this would disable the automatically updating package handler from the management point you are using.

You should always add the bounderies for the site to each server role machine, even if it should be derived from the upper tier node, as the whole point of splitting distribution points is to normally cover different physical or logical network segments. Add your site bounderies to the troubled DP and let me know if it works.

Neil J Cotton

Hi!

It didn't work. At one location 6 clients received the program but only one has started it; at the other location 5 clients received the program but no one has started it yet.
I have both DP specified as protected DP with boundaries of the AD site. Where do I also have to set options?

if they received the package at the correct time, from the correct DP, then you don't have a problem with the DP configuration, unless you are trying to run it from the DP, rather than download the file.

Does the new DP, have full access on the systems management container in the AD Server? Is the DP machine account have local amdinistrator rights on the AD Server?

Neil J Cotton

i will do some checking. it seems that there is a problem with the DP because the execmgr.log says:
"ContentAvailable ignoring update with no DPs for content request ID {36BB0568-23C5-4705-A576-8B72B6194025}"
?

Question:

In the package properties on the DataSource Tab. The Source Directory is set to the standard SMS Server which is located here. The two DP already received a copy of the sources - so the clients will receive the sources from the two DP and are not trying to connect here to the "main server", are they?

no, they shouldn't, not to download a package. HAve you checked the Systems Management Container. If it doesn't have full access to the Active Directory, it will not be able to run the programs remotely on AD nodes.

Is on the Systems > Properties (in SMS Site Server (admin console)) is the Distribution point set to "Protected Distribution Point" (which is at the bottom of the page on the DP tab) as this also lists site boundries, but I don't think this should be an issue, otherwise they wouldn't even distribute.

Neil J Cotton

Also, this package that you are trying to run, are you trying to run the package from the distribution point, rather than download source and run locally?

Neil J Cotton

hi!

the package runs from the distribution point; the DP are set to protected distribution points.

regarding the AD - i am not quite sure if everything has been set correct... we are still investigating...

in the active directory system manager, click view, advanced, and the systems Management Container will then be available, look at the permission in there.

Neil J Cotton

I added the servers in the AD - now I think we have to wait some time... thank you - hope it works now.

yeah... you will have to wait for a couple of Machine policy request cycles. Best if you force them. Or reboot the machine.
on the site server cmd, type "gpupdate /force"

or if it is a test environment, or you can afford to reboot, just fdo that, should pick it up the policy cycle after a reboot.

Neil J Cotton

hope that it helped. Feel free to contact me if I can help with anything else.

njcotton@btinternet.com

Neil J Cotton

hope that it helped. Feel free to contact me if I can help with anything else.

njcotton@btinternet.com | njcotton@uclan.ac.uk

Neil J Cotton

nothing new so far - but I'll wait until this afternoon...

check what your discovery methods are set to. And force your machine policy updates client side...or well, DP Server side (assuming you have the SMS Client installed on the DP.

Neil J Cotton

LocationServicesLog on the client says:
Distribution Point=' Locality='REMOTE'
Distribution Point='\\RBSV06\SMSPKGE$\RB100001\', Locality='REMOTE' LocationServices 04.11.2005 10:00:03 1908 (0x0774)
Current AD site of machine is KL-Klagenfurt

So the client uses still the wrong distribution point it seems alltough the new DP (which should be used) is a protected DP based on the AD site "KL-Klagenfurt".

Any ideas?

I saw you say you configured the boundaries in the PDP location tab but are they also in the primary site servers boundaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back