Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Database Stuck in Queries, Numbering & Duplicate Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

garykbz

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2010
BZ
I am trying to help the local Ombudsman office here with a database. I am new to database design. I am using a program called Brilliant database Design. I have the database set up already but my numbering is a problem. I have added 15 enteries so far, have deleted all of them, but if i try to add a new entry it will start at 16 and not at 1 seeing that i deleted all. What can I do? I also need some help with queries so I can bring up the amount of cases for the month, Amount of cases by district and query my first or last name. I also have a section on the form for a signature that will be gotten by jpeg from scanner but need it to remain visible when i am printing the form. I am really trying to help this no-profit organization . Please advice me on how to get this completed.

The numbering issue sounds like an Autonumber field in Access and that is how it works. Its only purpose is (or should be) to provide a unique value. You should not treat Autonumber fields (AKA Identity fields) as having meaning beyond being merely unique.

If you need meaningful numbers then there are ways to generate them but those are dependent upon the DBMS / Language that you are using.

Without some knowledge of your tables we really can't provide very specific advice about what your SQL needs to be to get the results that you want.

You will probably get better answers if you ask those questions in one of the forums specific to the DBMS that you are using rather than this forum on General Database Discussions.

If you are new to database start with this:
If your data is not structured well, everything you do later will be more difficult.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Hi,

This is probably an AutoNumber Key value. It should not be significant to your process. It is designed to provide a unique key value for that table.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

That is exactly what it should do to maintain data integrity. This is by design. YOu should never rely on numbers to be in order with no gaps as no database will do that without alot of potentially hazardous workarounds. THe surrogate key is just that a meaningless number that is used to link to other tables and to identify the record uniquely. It should have no other meaning (although users certainly can see it because it is easier to talk about work order 134 than to try to give it a name)

If they want you to have records without gaps, tell tham that is a very bad idea and will create more problems than it solves.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Gary,

forms are nothing to do with the database design and the numbering of primary keys.

We can help you with database design, discuss surrogacy until the sun goes dark, and eulogise about normalisation. However, nobody here (probably) can know the specifics of a particular form in a particular piece of software.

Is your issue with the database or the form you're struggling with. If the latter, you'll have to provide information about what software you're using etc.

Please bear in mind that we can't see what you can, and we don't know what you do. You have to give us enough information to be able to meaningfully help you.

Regards

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back