Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Data Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2009
US
I'm am in the process of moving a database from Access over to SQL Server. There is a group of reports pulling data from this Access database that will need to point to the new location. How could I go about changing the data location while still maintaining the existing report fields and structure.

Every time I change the location, the fields are wiped from the report.

Thanks.

It works easiets when new source has the same table/field structure as the old.

In Crystal, from the Database menu, sleect 'Set Datasource Location'.

The top pane will the the datasource(s) used in your report, the bottom pane will be potential datasources.

You will need to navigate/create connection in the bottom pane to the SQL database, then in the top pane, select the table and possibly field you wish to update, then in the bottom pane, select the new source date, then click update.

If you are having problems losing fields, i would suggest going a field at a time until you either are not having problems or discover what field is causing the issue.

For anyone interested, here is what I did.

The instructions mentioned by fisheromacse I believe relate Crystal XI and I failed to mention that I am still in the prehistoric period w/ Crystal 8.5. For 8.5 I had to select 'set location' and just browse for the new datasource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back