Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new computer wont post or pre, help :( specs inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybersmoke1

Technical User
Jun 25, 2003
US
i have a new computer thats not even 3 weeks old yet, it wont turn on at all, i have done no overclocking whatsoever and it was working fine till yesterday. the following are my specs.

winxp pro
soyo sy-p4i865pe dragon plus 2
2.4ghz C pentium 4 processor
kingston 512 meg value ram dual channel kit
radeon 8500le 64 meg
wd diamond 8 40 meg ata 133 hdd
sony 52x cdrom
riptide modem
xcase case and 500w xcase power supply

please help i cant understand why it wont post, ive tried removeing everything but the cpu/hdd/vid card/ram to no avail

What are the exact symptoms - when you hit the power button, what happens?

Do you hear the fans whirring up? Is there any life on the monitor? Do the keyboard lights flash?

It could be the PSU, from the information you've given.

Hope this helps.

okie heres an update,

ive tried the rule of thumb(takeing everything out and trying it on a piece of cardboard) with the same results, here are the exact symptoms

the led on the mobo is lit(led for power connected) but nothing else functions, no fans spin up, no post, power supply fan fails to function, p4 pan does not spin up, monitor does not turn on etc

ive hooked the PS up to an old p3 computer and while the fans do spin up the computer will not post, im not sure if this is soley the PS or not, yout expertise is greatly appreciated

ok nother update

i was sitting here ponering why the powersupply died so suddenly when lo and behold i hear the fans in my computer whir to life, this was 5 maybe 10 minutes after i had pushed the power button last, anyone have any idea at all as to why it would do this, ive seen tv's take up to 5 mins to turn on before but never a computer. should i still get a new power supply? or has the focus changed to something else in my computer?

while i dont mind leaving my comp on 24/7 i dont think the mobo i bought was designed for that much extended use heh and waiting 5 minutes just for the computer to turn on is not a plesent concept as its less then 2 weeks old

I agree...power supply only. Try Newegg.com for a good cheap one that fits your system. You also make look to get a more powerful one...I had a power supply die a couple weeks after I built my system too. It was a 350W...I got a new 500W and havent had any trouble since.

alright thanks for the input, ill look into a new PS, i have my eye on a real PC titanium :) gonna have to scrounge for the extra cash but it should be worth it thanks

If it's only 2 weeks old is the part not under warranty?

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

power supply came with the case, so if i returned the powersupply i would have 500 dollars worth of parts sitting around, and i would have to wait like 2 weeks to get another case, no thx id rather buy a new powersupply lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back