Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Computer Hardware-- Won't start no activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregger20

Technical User
Mar 16, 2005
US
Hi,
I've just bought some new computer hardware. New Motherboard Hard Drive Power Supply Memory and video card. My problem is that I can't turn the thing on! When I plug it in there is no action/activity at all. Do you think there is something wrong with my power supply?

We need a list of the makes and models of all the parts you have.
Have you re-set the bios?
What is connected?
Is the motherboard in the case or on your bench?
What makes you ask about the power supply?
If its a Pentium 4 then you have to make sure the 4 wire Pentium 4 connector is connected to the motherboard.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Check the cmos jumper, I have had some boards ship with them in the clear position. also make sure that the power switch on the power supply is in right position,and cable for on/off switch on correct 2 pins for the front panel.

May sound stupid - but what procedure did you use to turn it on?

Some of the dumb things I've done/seen through the years that caused what you're experiencing:

Tried to run an Athlon XP with a GeForce 4400 on a 300 watt power supply
Tried to run a power supply in USA with switch on 240v
Missed one of the plastic standoffs under the mobo, thereby bolting 12v to ground
Fastened the power switch wires to the wrong pins
Left the reset jumper installed
Didn't seat the ATX connector all the way
Plugged into a GFCI socket with the protection tripped
Rocker switch labeled backwards on cheap power supply (on was off--off was on)
Forgot to plug in processor fan
Bad power switch in new case
etc, etc, etc

I would start by dropping back to a minimal configuration. Unhook all but the absolutely necessary hardware. Verify the power switch wires are on the right pins. Check the reset jumper on the motherboard. Try pulling the motherboard out and laying it on a piece of cardboard and hooking it up and running it that way. If you still have your old hard drive and video card, try them with the new mobo.

If you know how to use a multimeter, there are some good ATX power supply troubleshooting guides on the web. You should be able to verify whether you're able to POST or not.

If you are using an ECS mobo, they have been known to refuse to power up for several tries--just keep resetting the CMOS, they eventually come around.

Remember that it is probably something simple.

Tranman

"Adam was not alone in the Garden of Eden, however,...much is due to Eve, the first woman, and Satan, the first consultant." Mark Twain

Fastened the power switch wires to the wrong pins"

gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back