Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Computer hangs when opening My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestPAGiz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I didn't call HP yet, since professionals in this fourm are much more helpful and knowledgable. I just setup a HP a1677c desktop with windows xp media edition. It setup fine except when I click on My Computer or when saving a file off the internet and click save and try and pick a folder, the system hangs for about 4 to 5 mintues. I got all the microsoft updates (including IE7) and the problem persists. I checked the task manager process and nothing is out of control, in fact, system idle is 95-99%. I tried turning off the norton security and that didn't help. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

did you connect to any other computers with it recently? it might be worth going to network places and deleting any unused network shares, etc.

also - if you have any usb drives, card readers, etc. attached, try removing these one by one to see if they are to blame.

any chance you've left a cd in the cdrom drive? maybe that cd is scratched?

also, look for any errors in the system log in event viewer related to hardware or timeouts.

Thanks. I unplugged all the USB devices and tried them one by one and it ended up being a paper port scanner causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back