Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Computer accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBall

Instructor
Mar 26, 2003
SE
When you create a Computer object in AD Users And Computers, what does the "Allow pre-Windows 2000 computers to use this account" do?
/IceBall

MCSE+I NT 4.0
MCSE w2k

"Active Directory domain names are usually the full DNS name of the domain. However, for backward compatibility, each domain also has a pre-Windows 2000 name for use by computers running pre-Windows 2000 operating systems.

The pre-Windows 2000 domain name can be used to log on to a Windows 2000 domain from computers running pre-Windows 2000 operating systems using the domainname\username format. This same format can also be used to log on to a Windows 2000 domain from computers running Windows 2000. Users can also log on to computers running Windows 2000 using the user principal name associated with their user account."

See this article:

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Okej but I like to know whats the difference between selecting the option "Allow pre-Windows 2000 computers to use this account" or not. (See screendump I can still typ in a pre-2000 computernamne.
/IceBall

MCSE+I NT 4.0
MCSE w2k

If you are create a computer account prior to actually joining the computer account you would/could select that check box. If you left it unchecked, and the computer was a downlevel client, like 9x or NT you would not be able to join it to the domain.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

I need to clarify my explaination, as an admin you can create a computer account - sort of like staging - before the computer is joined. OR, the account is created at the time the computer is joined to the domain. If you "pre-stage" and not check the box, and should that computer be an NT machine, it would not be able to join the domain. Sorry, 9x clients aren't added in AD. So it would affect only NT clients.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Okej.. Thanks!

/IceBall

MCSE+I NT 4.0
MCSE w2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back