Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new comp, cant install windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

dergeneral

Technical User
Jul 6, 2003
US
got the last components today, put it together, booted right up, put windows xp disk in cd rom...DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER...crap...if you have any ideas im all ears, ill be back tomorrow to see what you have to say thanks

Hola,

go to the BIOS Setup like Grenage said and set your Boot priorities to include the CD-ROM... then F10 (save and quit) and retry...

Ben

PS do let us know if you have solved your dilema...

BadBigBen is correct. you should check the bios for the boot sequence. your first boot device should be your cd-rom.

plus, make sure that your windows xp cd is bootable. (just in case it is pirated or somethin) hehe..

I like the boot order to be:

1-Floppy
2-CDROM
3-HARD DRIVE

On bootup you should see something like press any key to boot from CD:

If you put the floppy first you can put in a Win98 boot disk and see if you can see all the drives, run fdisk, etc. This will let you know everthing is working.

For XP you dont really need a boot disk, because the CD should be bootable, and have the FDISK in the install.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Tis always good to see if there is a BIOS update first me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back