Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Cisco Router installed and can't ping it

Status
Not open for further replies.

useractive

Programmer
Jun 21, 2001
US
I'm looking for any help here. Corporate installed a new Cisco router before I came and they are now allowing us to hook into it. We were using Microsoft Proxy before.

I'm running an NT 4.0 Server (SP6)using DHCP to distribute IP's to 70 some clients. subnet is 255.255.255.128 (25 bit set on the router). I also have a Unix machine (keep that for future reference)

I've got DHCP setup with the new IP scheme from the router and have added in the 003 router address. I've changed over the gateway and static IP's on the server to point to the new gateway. I've removed proxy client from all machines and have them automatically look for LAN settings from DHCP.

So far, router is not working. DHCP assigns correctly and the machines can see the network, but they can not get to the internet. I can ping any machine on the network from the server or workstations(including the Unix box which has a static IP), but I can not ping the gateway.

Now the person that watches the T1 line the router is connected into says he can see the Unix box, but nothing else. They are all connected to the same hub, and those to the same switch. I'm at a loss. Is there something I need to do on the NT side for it to see the router? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The only thing that comes to mind is gateway setting mismatch somewhere. Do you have a separate firewall? I just ran into that where the gateway setting on my cisco 2600 didn't match the setting in my Watchguard Firebox II. As soon as I set the cisco correctly, we could see the internet.

Sorry, that's all that comes to mind.

Are the workstation's gateways pointing to the router address through DHCP ????

We got it figured out finally. Looks like the "Consultant" that was brought in to set it up didn't set it up right.

Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back