Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New CD-writer not recognized by Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy75

Technical User
Aug 24, 2001
US
(FYI: I'm running Windows Me on a Dell Inspiron 4100.)

I just installed a new Optorite 40x CD-writer in place of my old 8x writer, which has always worked perfectly. However, the new device does not appear in the Windows device manager, or in explorer, or anywhere else. It's as if it weren't even there. Also, the eject button only works before Windows loads up, not after.
I know I've got it hooked up right, because it comes up correctly in the Bios settings, and the darn green light won't stop blinking, so it has power.
Weird. Any ideas? :) I'll appreciate any tips, I'd really like to get this thing working. Thanks!!!

--Ryan

The Problem your have could have something to do with your ASPI and that you might need to get an updated version
I had a problem with my ASPI and win ME the all my Writing software didn't Detect my CDRW Drive as a CDRW drive there for I couldn't write any CD's
I can't remember where I got the latest Aspi files so I uploaded them to here
I Hope this helps you ________________________________________
I help Where I can

Thanks for your quick response. I found and installed the ASPI 4.71 files onto my computer, but the CD-RW is still nowhere to be found in Windows. The drive still won't open, and the green light still won't stop blinking. :-( I also just noticed that my hard drive activity light is continuously on now, also, but I don't hear the hard drive whirring. Could that have something to do with it?

--Ryan

Can it be something as obvious as the jumper settings on the back of the writer??
Are they set correctly?
Master or slave depending on your setup.
Master if on it's own IDE channel.
Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Return CD for another. Blinking light that won't stop or cd unable to eject is a hardware fault.

Alright, I found and fixed the problem. :) I spent all day yesterday playing with cables and hardware configurations to try and isolate the fault. It turns out that there is some kind of incompatibility problem between the new CD-RW drive and my existing DVD-ROM. When I unplugged power from the DVD-ROM, the CD-RW was detected and functioned perfectly. So I messed with it some more and put the two drives on different IDE channels, redid the jumpers, and I don't know why, but it worked! All drives are now present and working fine.

So I learned something this weekend about in-depth hardware troubleshooting. An overall positive experience, I think. [bigglasses]

--Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back