Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Build and getting nothing!!! Plz help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotaru

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2002
US
I have been building systems for years and this one is leaving me scratching my head.

Asus K8V Se Deluxe Mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3400+
2 Ultra 512 400Mhz RAM

When I power it up, the board lights up, the fans turn but that is it. I get nothing on the monitor, I don't get a beep. I know that I am doing something wrong. I have already sent the mobo and the cpu back and now I have another set that is doing the same thing. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Things that spring to mind:
Power supply down on one rail
Too many mounting posts fitted shorting board
Addon card preventing boot
Take back to minimum

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

See if the setup works outside of the case, like paparazi stated there could be something causing a short. This is most likely the cause. Also, double check the CMOS jumper to make sure it's on correct pins. Is the 12 volt power connector securely clipped onto the board?

You could check and make sure the bios jumper is on correct. Some mfgrs send the mobo out with the jumper on reset(pins 2 and 3) when it should be on pins 1 and 2.
I know you know this but it must be mentioned, just in case.
Also, now might be a good time to re-set the bios, see manual for correct way as it differs from mfgr to mfgr. Again, you know this, but it has to be mentioned.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Would the fact that I have a 250watt power supply make a difference?

@scotaru - oh yeah, that pins it down... an AMD Athlon 3400+ (aswell as an P4) need at least a 300w PSU, best would be 400+ watt PSU... you are way underpowered... btw, does that 250w have an extra 4 pin plug (two yellow and two black cables on a square plug) if it doesn't then it wont work at all...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

O My Gawd!!!!

Stop the laughing and snickering!!!!!

I don't like to post unless I have checked and double checked and read through other threads and the manual but this time I guess it was just one of those things....dumb, mistake. I guess that is the way it goes....thanks for all the help guys....it is up and running fine now!

Personally, yes, im snickering, but only a teeny bit as i have done dumber things! And ive forgotten the 12 volt connector more than once.

Back to the serious side, you should have a good quality min 400 watt power supply, something worth approx $40 or more. If it came with a $30 to $40 case then dont expect it to last too long, best if you buy power supply separate these days, good place to get a decent one would be newegg.com. Best if its approved for AMD as well. I get the approx $40 figure as this power supply thing has been beat to death in other threads and people have found several decent power supplies in the price range or a bit more at newegg.
Also suggest you get a UPS unit, even if its a low price model. All computers should be hooked to a UPS (end of rant on UPS's).

Actuall I had 3 burned out motherboards, due to the lack of the 12 volt connector beeing fitted. The CPU supply currents on the board can be between 50 and measured 97 amps with the P4 prescot, that is on the 1.38 volt line.
Regards

Jurgen

Wow, thats hot! Have to be more careful.

I did actually put in a 400watt ps. The reason I didn't think of it was that I was using an ATX case that I already had that had a 250watt ps and I replaced it with a 300watt. Neither had the 4-pin 12v plug so I never even thought about it. I just got in too big of a hurry.

re, my comment, about having to be more careful, i meant that i would have to be more careful. Just thought i should straighten that comment out, not referring to anyone else.

Glad you got it running...

btw we all learn from our mistakes...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

jurgen36,

Did you mean to say milliamps? Thats an awful lot of current!

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Not sure how it was measured but would question how the FCC would have approved it. They limit current flow to 5 amp per offboard connector. That is the reason for the extra connectors.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

:BadFrog
:edfair

With Ohms law, you can work it out yourself. As published by Intel the dissapation of high speed Preston chips is between 75 and 142 watts depending on the speed and batch. Almost all the dissapation is in the core which runs at 1.3 to 1.4 volts. Now 75 watts at 1.38 wolts is a current of about 54 amps, if you use the higher value of 142 watts the current is about 100 amps. The low voltages on the main bord are generated by cmoss switchmode supplies and regulators on the mainbord, they are supplied by the 12 volt input. We cut the track on the supply line to the processor and used a small wire loop so that we could use a current clamp meter. I hope this clarifies the issue.
Regards

Jurgen

Can I assume that you lost the 12v supply lines to the MB throught the Molex connector since they were attempting to supply the entire input? I also assume that the 12v lines are capable of nearly 60 watts each less the switching and regulatory losses.
I'm surprised the wire loop didn't do an incandescent glow.
I haven't had an opportunity to dissect one of those boards yet.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

:edfair
We used very heavy wireindeed.
The burned out boards were fitted by one of my techs, he used supplies without the extra 12 volt connectors. The machines refused to work and started smoking.
Regards

Jurgen

jurgen36

Wow!

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back