Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New bigger HD not detected after BIOS upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourWheelDrift

Technical User
May 20, 2001
GB
Hi

I have upgraded my BIOS to the latest version that says I can have a HD up to 27GB in size, so I now have a 20GB HD in a caddy drive set up as a slave and my PC doesn't recognise it (Master HD is an 8.7GB). My PC is a Gateway PII 300 and I have installed the latest BIOS 4A4LL0X0.15A.0023.P18 for it directly from the Gateway UK website. I have downloaded this and installed it via a floppy disk, rebooting with the disk in the drive and following all the on screen prompts, yet no extra HD detected (the System setup for an additional IDE device is set to AUTO). I have run the iflash.exe program from Windows and it says "This BIOS cannot be re-flashed because of installed memory managers" does this mean it hasn't been upgraded properly or just upgraded again via Windows. You help will be very much appreciated as this is started to drive me towards giving my PC a severe kicking.

4WD

It sounds like your Bios has been upgraded properly (usually failed bios flashes are indicated by dead systems).. This may sound like funny advice but I have seen it from time to time...If you have set your secondary HDD as a slave try removing the jumper entirely..I've had a couple of situations where taking the jumper off the second drive resulted in it being seen...(don't ask me how hehe), also set all your bios detection to AUTO.

Funnily enough I did a similar thing. I set it as Master, disconnected my internal master HD and booted from a floppy disk, set fdisk, formated the drive etc..... then installed Windows to it. Kept it as Master but changed the jumpers on my old master HD to slave and re-booted, everything works.

Not tested it yet the other way round yet but I have a result I was after anyway.

Thanks
4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back