Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New bar-code system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukester0122

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2003
US
We're looking at a new bar-code system that would integrate with our ERP system.

We've had problems with vendors in the past living unfinished projects for months then turning to another vendor for completion.

We want to attach milestones to every part of implementation but we need to know which part can we do this. Acceptance is very critical to this project but the vendor is asking 50% d/p, 50% upon delivery.

How did you manage the payments? Any suggestion.

How big are you? What ERP system? 50% DP no way! Sign a contract so everyone knows what is going to happen. I have been implementing a barcode system at my company for 2 years now. We run an AS/400 based ERP but our barcode system runs MSSql and we have a custom interface written for the data exchange. If you are looking at a multi-million dollar system the attorneys will know what to do but if you are looking at a single location deal I would still have a detailed spec that leaves some big picture objective goals. The reason I say that is since you don’t have a barcode system you don’t know what you want it to do. Trust me you have no idea. I have over 500 takeaways/ todos that will take a lifetime to sort out.

Good Luck,
Dave

We are a mid-size company with $300M annual revenue. We're using MBS Great Plains in 3 manufacturing plants and 16 remote offices. We're implementing the bar-code in one of the factory then deploy to all other offices later.

I had experienced implementing Symbol bar-codes but in small scale environment & it was stand-alone. This project will integrate with our ERP and we're talking multiple projects happening after the initial project.

So how would you break-down the payments then?

We set milestones for our vendor. Each Milestone needs a spec and overall objectives list.

1) Pilot = 50,000
2) Pilot Signoff = 75,000
3) First 5 plants = 200,000
4) Next 5 plants = 200,000
5) And so on

Dave

Anybody here using MBS Great Plains and which bar-code/rfid system are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back