Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New ASP Guy...Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcole

Technical User
Feb 17, 2004
US
Hey guys...I am totally brand new to the world of ASP. I have been working with html and Javascript only throughout my time as a web developer. I am on the brink of implementing ASP into our website because I know we need to implement some of its qualities (database linkage, etc). However, I do not know which version of the Visual Studio to purchase. I am looking at Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Professional at around $500. Is this the best step for me at this point?? Also, I will need to purchase some SQL server space as well right? Thanks in advance for your help.

I just purchased Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Architect and it came with SQL server and such. I am currently migrating to it one step at a time but I really like it. Definatly gets you out of DLL hell and has made everything fairly simple and very powerful.

I bought my copy for $567 plus shipping.

Good luck.

Cassidy

to get into ASP you dont need to purchase visual studio, there's more than enough documentation resources available online, basically what you'd be purchasing studio for in order to work on web pages is an interface to edit in.

personally unless you're planning on writing applications and compiling your own server side objects, just download a freeware/shareware editor, hit a couple documentation websites, and if you need sqlserv, use mysql it's cheap ( actually i think free ) and a good foundation to start from or use MS Access, if this is on a larger scale then i'd stick to the mySQL suggestion.

i suppose that all depends on the size of the company you're with, if you have applications developers as well, then perhaps studio wouldn't be a bad idea after all :)

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert

The company is fairly small...I am the only one working on the project, but the website is currently about 500 pages. It is pretty large, and too hard to update with standard html coding.

Do you have a suggestion for an asp freeware editor? thanks for all of your help by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back