Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New AS2 Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceilingfan83

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2007
US
Hi all,
I'm a little wet behind the ears with EDI, so please, any help is greatly appreciated. I am currently using Gentran Server for AS/400 v3.4. We want to implement AS2 (to save/bypass VAN fees), and was hoping to get some community feedback on software options/suggestions. I don't think its related, but our ERP software is JD Edwards 8.0. We are specifically looking to setup AS2 with K-Mart, Kroger, and Dollar General, but will also be expanding to many more TPs.

Q:
AS2 is just a communications process that isn't even EDI specific, so any AS2 software should work, right?

Are there advantages to using a Gentran product, that I wouldn't be able to get from a 3rd party product?

What AS2 product would you recommend?

Any suggestions on what sort of things should I be thinking about/looking for when looking for new software?

Any suggestions/help are much appreciated. Thanks!

-John

Using Gentran on a UNIX server, on UNIX no AS2 options from Sterling are available. We will be upgrading to GIS, which does have AS2 support. For most of our communications we are using Cleo. So my answers would be...

1. Yes

2. Don't know/ not for my version

3. Cleo

Thanks EDI Dave!

Does anyone else have any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't checked out the board in awhile.

These are the guys we use...
We purchased our software from Cyclone Commerce a few years ago, and then they merged with Axway. They have different options for software depending upon what scale you were thinking.

We run a slimmed down version of Cyclone Interchange on an AIX box. They changed the name to something else now. Not sure what it is.

Haven't had many problems at all. Anything I've faced was usually resolved with stopping and restarting the software on the server. I usually have to do that once, or twice a year. Haven't had to restart it in at least the past 7 months.

Their support is so-so when you do need to contact them. Not the best about returning calls/emails promptly.

1. Yes
2. Yes, if you outsource EDI, but GenTran seems to have the best SW.
3. ALLiGACOM Net-Transfer. One of the 1st AS2 certified SW providers. They also can act as a VAN.
4. Is it tested and certified. Will my third parties give me flexibility, i.e coms with AS2, VAN, FTP, XML...

Liaison Technologies is another possibility for you. They are an EDI outsourcing/consulting firm. As a managed service provider, you will only need to connect to them via your own AS2 connection as you said and then all mapping and translating is done from there. It is less of a hastle, cheaper and faster when building new maps. It also can connect to older VAN's at reduced rates from the VAN's themselves. Send me an e-mal if you think it sounds interesting more. I'll send you some detailed info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back