Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Archive Log Dest Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekdudedude

Technical User
Sep 29, 2007
Hello,

I have found that if I add a new archive log dest (ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest_n=) if I bounce the database I can see it is being used.

At what point does a newly added log_archive_dest_n become active? Can it be made active without bouncing the database?

Thanks,

TD

Log_archive_dest_n is a dynamic parameter (as are the majority of initialization parameters in 10g). Therefore you can add a new archive directory without bouncing the instance. The way to do this is by specifying "scope" on your alter system command. The alternatives are

Code:
ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest_n="LOCATION={directory path} scope=memory;
ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest_n="LOCATION={directory path} scope=spfile;
ALTER SYSTEM SET log_archive_dest_n="LOCATION={directory path} scope=both;

"Scope=memory" makes the change effective immediately, but does not record it in the spfile. As a result the new archive log dest will disappear when the instance is bounced.

"Scope=spfile" delays the implementation of the change until after the instance is stopped and restarted using the parameters recorded in the spfile.

"Scope=both" makes the change effective immediately and also records the change in the spfile, so it will persist after the instance is bounced.

So, for your purpose you want either "scope=memory" or scope=both". It all depends on whether you are making the change as a temporary expedient (perhaps because a drive filled up) or permanently.

Incidentally, you can verify that the new archive dest is in use by running the command

Code:
alter system switch logfile;

That will force a log switch and result in a new archive log being produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back