Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New apartment, need Int. opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan19

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2002
US
This is aimed at those of you in Northern VA, preferably in or around Fairfax, although anyone who can add their two cents is more than welcome to. :)

I moved into an apartment in the 22033 zip code, 703 area code (Summit Fair Lakes, if anyone else is there) within the past few weeks and have been researching broadband. We've been using Verizon DSL at my house prior to the move for two or three years now and I've loved it, no problems except for having to reboot the modem/router every couple weeks.

But from what it looks like, Cox cable internet is really the only viable option at Summit. When I was setting up my phone service Verizon told me DSL was available but when I called to set up today, I was told that there must've been some mistake because it wasn't available. That was frustrating. Other options are satellite and SpeakEasy IDSL. I don't know anything about the first (it sounds expensive) and SpeakEasy's IDSL is over $100/month! For me, who's going to be taking on the full payment for internet at the apartment, that's just too much to swallow per month. Dial-up is also out of the question... With DSL at the other house and DSL at work, going home to dial-up is unbearable. Between my roommates and I, this connection at the apartment will be used for regular Internet browsing, some gaming, downloading, etc. so we a need a good one.

So unless anyone else is living in Summit and knows of another option, or has some other ifo for me, it looks like we'll have to go with Cox cable. My question is, are there any people that have had a GOOD experience with Cox in Fairfax or Northern VA and can help alleviate some of my fears? I've read plenty of reviews and info on Cox (at broadbandreports and elsewhere) and the majority seems to be negative... But seeing as how it's the only option I know that's realistic, I'm in a tough spot.

Any and all help in this matter would be great!

Thanks,
m19

your question is a good and well put one. however, i am to no help being that i live in texas. however, you said it best when you ask for people in the area. cox cable can be very good and obviously bad. i live in one town, it rocked. moved to another with cox, it sucked. so, keep in mind that you may get a very good signal where you are and there may not be too many people on the cable network. i'd talk to the folks at the swimming pool or office.

also, you could check to see if there are any wireless broadband ISP's there. good luck

"Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

We have IDSL at work. You only get 144k up and down. ISDN is cheaper and almost as fast. I'd go with cable. Even if you have some problems with it it is faster and cheaper than the other options.

I'm on Comcast cable, have been for 4.5 years. I love it. I've had no problems. I now a guy who lives a few miles away, he had nothing but problems. I think it can also depend on the tech in charge of your area. Someone on top of things keeps it smooth. Another guy slacking could cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back