Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New AD users get US English language settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimRegester

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Fine if the school it is installed in was in New York, damned annoying if the school is in the UK.

I set up 26 PCs and was careful to ensure that no PC had any remnants of US English on them.

But when testing a new user would log into a Windows XP Pro PC and get the US English settings when the PC is clearly in UK English. This is really annoying and a support nightmare as there are 39 users who have yet to log in and will not have access to the control panel to change the regional language.

Technet yields nothing.

Is there a fix outthere or is this an undocumented feature of XP.

For ref the PCs run XP Pro with SP1 the server is Windows 2003 std edition.

Cheers in advance

Try creating a (or modifying an existing) group policy for all users in your domain and set the primary language to UK English.

In the GPO the regional and Lnguage Options only had English as an option not English UK or English United Kingdom this was set through the GPO and enabled, however I wondered if English in this case referred to US English and disabled this setting, this made not a jot of difference to the behaviour of a new User logging in the local PC still reverted to US English so enabled disabled or not configured makes no odds. It would be nice if this worked though.

Any other ideas I cannot hand hold all the users when they first log in and change their regional settings as I am on site one day a week.

In winnt.sif:

-------------------
[Unattended]
KeyboardLayout="United Kingdom"
By setting your Keyboard Layout, this prevents the Language icon appearing on the taskbar when you've logged on.

--------------------
[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1
This option sets the language group of your installation. Please refer to the ref.chm file in the Deployment Tools for more information.

Language=00000809
This option sets the language of your installation. Please refer to the ref.chm file in the Deployment Tools for more information.

See:

Unfortunately all these PCs are already built and deployed and are live. They also have all necessary apps loaded so rebuilding them is not an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back