Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Abit KA7 & Athlon 750

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doh

Technical User
Apr 21, 2000
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>&nbsp;I just purchased a AMD 750/ Abit KA7 and Im ready to have the sucker up rockin' and rollin. But I have a slight problem (of course). I have everything plugged in and tightened down to my knowledge.. and when I turn on the computer my CD-rom/CD-RW spins.. HD's come alive... all Fans come on..but No VIDEO! I have 4 Video Cards to mess around with Them being: TNT2 Ultra (AGP.. DUH), Diamond Monster Fusion (AGP), Creative LABS Banshee (PCI)... and something from way back when, you know... 486's owned all ;) (ISA)... I can't get any response from any of them.... my monitor just flashes no signal

does the board host an onboard VGA chipset? if so check the manual to turn it off, I have a microstar K7 Pro (which I am trading in for an Abit a matter of fact) it has something called D-LED its these LED lights that show you the status of whats going on with your motherboard, the last thing you see if it locked up or wasnt sucessful would be the LED code for what it last tried to initiate, also have you tried to put in the Video card without any other cards on the motherboard, by default most motherboards will try to initiate a PCI device before it initiates an AGP one, which is why trying only the video card in the slot before turning it on, then once you get your display working go into bios, and turn on Init AGP First. (hopefully that brand of Abit yer using is the one with the KX133 Chipset, cuz my MSI board has a Irongate, and my TNT2 Ultra, and My Geforce DDR really sucks on DirectX and OpenGL all weird texture problems and stuff) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Well i feel a bit silly Karl, after I had posted the message... I had decided I would take out the heat sink support on the motherboard, sure enough, the little sucker wasnt allowing the proccessor to sit all the way in the slot A... I feel really really really stupid =) Least I solved my problems, and it rocks =)

Well least we know the problem isnt always what we think it is, I just got my Abit KA7 yesterday, well the same probs I had on the MSI board is occuring on my Abit (messed up textures in both DX and OpenGL, White turns to yellow sometimes in the desktop) So I think my 300$ Video card gone bad :{ , but somehow I doubt it cuz my TNT2 Ultra AGP did the same thing (cept the yellow thing) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

But.. But.. .But.... My TNT2 Ultra Runs great!!!... man thats not cool at all... by anychance you have another friend around with a AGP slot? That makes no sense if both cards are doing it.. perhaps it could be...the proccessor itself.... Makes you wish you didnt trade the original motherboard, doesnt it. --- Regards .. Jon W. (Doh!)

Actually I would liek to keep the Abit board (considering the Microstar would crash if i went at AGP2X) the abit holds the new Via KX133 chipset, which will allow me to do AGP4X, 133Mhtz memory, if I fix it. And I'm am sure its the processor, I tried it on both the MSI and the Abit, using the Abit now, and I didnt trade in my old Socket7 board, the CPU for it fried.<br>anyways Good luck to me (on Btw dont get a Geforce just yet, even tho its 8 times better than a TNT2, the Geforce 2 chip will be out tomarrow, gona be several times better than the geforce, even if its expensive , it'll drop the price on the Geforces) <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML, ASP(somewhat), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back