Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New 9th Generation PowerEdge's Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoreyWilson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2004
CA
Not sure how excited I am about these new generation servers being released. I appreciated the technology advancements and improvements but not the case redesign. What happens to us companies that have thirty or fifty of these in place all indentical then we get to start mixing and matching these new case designs with our existing machines. I hate ugly mix and match hardware in racks. How long are they going to keep the last generation models around before going strictly with the new designs.

Do you think it will be possible to procure the new hardware in older gen cases? I could care less about an active lcd that says three different things.

Thoughts / Opinions?

You can usually buy older models for at least 6 months, longer if you have an agreement with them and they still have supply of the parts. Can't say case design bothers me too much, it's when they changed the entire rack design a few years ago it really sucked :p

Buying older models is what we have done in the past, then through our agreement we were able to procure the newer hardware in older gen cases.

Dell is stouting however that this revamped case design will be here to stay for a number of years going forward. Already talked to our rep and they are saying minimum six years on this design as Dell wants to standardize their designs for data centre deployments. I guess they are taking a hint from HP, but even they changed from their gen1 to gen2 dl360's and 380's. Meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back