Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new 2k3 AD/Exchange needs to connect to 2k AD/Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash1057

MIS
Jul 24, 2003
US
I work for a company (company2) that is currently sharing office/network resources (with company1).

internet access
psychical network (router, switches etc...)
AD (company1)
exchange (company1.com & company2.com)

all users right now for both companies log into company1's AD

Now my company(2) wants its own AD domain with exchange. I have installed 2k3 server std. on a new server with AD and also installed exchange (i know not the best practice but this company is a non-profit so funds are tight). I have created a two trust between the two domains. Now I need to configure the new exchange to send and receive emails for company2 but still have it goto company1's server since none of the user's have been migrated over and will not be for awhile.

any dieas on how to set this up or thoughts???

thanks

Joe

Use ADMT to migrate your users and operate seperate domains. You can use the other companies server as a smart host if you don't have your own Internet connection, but you are going to run into problems. You need to have your MX record be able to be resolved via an RDNS lookup or mail is going to fail to many domains. Make sure you set up an SPF record in public dns so you can include the IP of the other company as authorized to send mail for your domain.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

do you have any idea on how long it will take for ADMT to run? we have less then 100 users and our email store is at 9gigs.

admt will not take long at all. I would use exmerge to move the email since your new exchange is in a different site.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back