Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NetZero Redirection on everything!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkster

MIS
Jun 19, 2000
US
NetZero redirects everything to their site! Regardless of the URL typed the browser is redirected to NetZero's site. We have uninstalled NetZero, uninstalled/reinstalled IE5, reinstalled Netscape, winsock, TCP/IP, looked for TSR's and Registry settings but the redirection persists. NetZero won't respond with a solution. How is it they have done this? This has all the earmarks of being malicious code. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here are a couple of options:

1. Do a Find File for hosts*.*. Open this with Notepad and see if NetZero is in there. If so, remove it.

2. Look for a file with a cgi extension. It may be netzero.cgi or something like that.

3. Uncheck the AutoComplete settings under Tools > Internet Options.

Good luck! DimensionalSolutions@Core.com

Its actually a bug, i think in Netzero's stuff, i was getting the exact same thing for a period of time. Netzero randomly came back up though and i had to download the new client and it is currentely working.
Oh, do you want a really neat way to prevent the adds from loading :)
later

ackka
ackka@mad.scientist.com

No, there are no CGI files, no entries except the loopback in the hosts file I don't find any jar files either that might be related. Any ideas on how the redirect might be working?

One of these days, I gotta uninstall that baby. I used Netzero as an alternative to my real isp in case it went down. Just used it last week during a particulary stormy day and the boogers upgraded me without me doing anything other than logon.

Think Netzero is almost worse than AOL.
PhiloVance
Other hobbies, interests: Travel, Model RR (HO Gauge), Genealogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back