Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking with win98 host

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayMan

Programmer
Aug 26, 2002
RU
You may blame me as "non-pro", but...

Env: win98se, static IPs (10.x.x.x), no DNS/DHCP/WNS hosts. VPC5trial.

Simply does not see network.

Setting 10.x.x.x address on virtual netcard results to nothing: no even pings.

What should I correct?

TIA, [sadeyes]

Forget the static for now and configure the client as DHCP. Does it pick up the address from the host? Keep in mind that with anything other then XP/2K, it's shared networking which means the guests are NATed to the host. With XP/2K you can go with statics without a problem in switched network config.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

What "client" you talkin''bout? Guest OS or the VPC itself?

VPC configures GOS to use shared networking and DHCP by default. And this default setting does not allow GOS tu see my network. What should I correct in my host's configuration? Sergei "the Scandalist" Agarkoff
FIDO://2:5041/1

client = guest.

Here is the short version.

The Host should see the network.. either as a static or dhcp client? We assume yes.

When you configure the guest, use shared networking. This setups a NAT and a DHCP server For the GUEST ONLY. Do *not* configure an IP address on the guest.

Boot up the guest and make sure it's part of the workgroup that the rest of the network is part of.

You should be able to ping some other workstation/server on the network. Browsing may or may not work at this point.

Let us know if you can ping the server(not the host) from the guest.

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Hi Mike!

We have (almost :) no dedicated server. The network envirnment is mixed: 3 NW4.11 servers, 3 w2k servers (one with Lotus Domino 5.0.10) and mswin peer2peer.
NW uses ipx/spx, win uses static IP and netbios (netbeui & NB over IP).
We have no DHCP/DNS/WINS server.

As to my PC, it's "equipped" with win98se and Novell NWClient 3.32.

After I've set up another 98se as GOS, with default settings it could not ping anything within our network range (10.x.x.x). Sergei "the Scandalist" Agarkoff

One problem is this.. The Shared network NAT doesnt work with IPX. And I seriously wonder if any of it will work since IPX uses broadcasts alot in the normal network design and again, NAT breaks that. What *might* work is to use Win2K as the host which allows for Switched Networking where you can hand out the static IPs you need.

Ping is going to break unless you have some way to resolve the name to IP address.. ie... WINS, DNS or a host(LMHOST) file.

Again, NB for the peer to peer is going to break on the NAT shared network so any possible name resolution from that goes away.

MikeS
Find me at
Sun Tzu

Hmm... I PINGing the IP address, not name!

Well... I will count that the networking under w98 is impossible. :(

Thank you for your answers. Sergei "the Scandalist" Agarkoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back