Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking with win 2k via hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBeau

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
US
Hi all:
Need some help!
working with two pcs with win 2k on both. Internet is working on both via the hub but they are talking to each other. they are part of the same workgroup and all!
Help!
thankx

. something shared on both machines
. Netbios over TCP/IP enabled in TCP/IP Properties
. A real username and password logon for both machines
. Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing installed on both machines

One other thought, if both machines are using static IPs to the ISP, you need to approach the problem through using either ICS or a hardware router instead of the hub.

Hey:
all the above is installed on both machines, still!!!
what else?
thanx

I guess you meant they are not talking to each other.
Can you specify what are you trying to accomplish that you say they are not talking to each other?
Can you run ping sucesssfully to each other in each of them?
Did you check if the Server service is running on both?

A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Um, slightly off point - but you are in the Win2k SERVER forum. Your using server on two machines with a hub and thats it?! Try Win2k Pro (or XP if you can stand the GUI and that bloody dog in the search ;-)) and ICS. If not, why using a hub? Slap some cross over and put NAT's on RRAS one one server.

Steve Hewitt

Sorry, I did mean to say that the two pcs are not talking to each other!

I am using a hub, cuse i have a cable modem and a printer for sharing.

as is now, the internet is working on both of them but i can not ping either one.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back