Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking with ME not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnipitus

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2001
US
I have 2 computers 1 running ME and 1 running XP professional. I am trting to network both of them through a hub. The problem is that the ME machine can see the XP machine and I can map drives and move files back and forth, but when I connect to the ME machine in XP after a few minutes I get this error message "\\servername\share drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource." But I was just able to connect. I also noticed that when I get this error I can no longer ping the ME computer. I have changed the Hub and NIC. I have also turned on Netbios through TCP/IP. I am using the same username and password on both machines. I have also tried assigning static ip's with the XP box at 192.168.0.1 and ME at 192.168.0.2. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

have you changes the hub and NIC on both computers? Do you have a third computer you could use to verify it's not a hardware problem?
Once that's established, i'll try to look on other forums to help.
good luck!

Actually I switched the NIC's between the 2 computers and I have completely changed them. The problem with them not communication only happens when I use the XP machine to browsse the ME machine. If I use the ME machine to browse XP no problems. The hub is also a hub I borrowed from a working network.

Can you ping the ME comp from the XP? ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back