Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking win 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownzie

Programmer
Aug 5, 2002
US
I am having a problem networking 2 Win 98se machines. I checked all the cables and network cards. That all came back good. I am using TCPIP with a 5 port hub. I can see the other machine in the network neighborhood but when I click on it I get a message saying I cant get to it. I tried pinging the other computer and I do not get a response.

Where do I go from here?
I need some help in understanding where to look or where to focus my attention.

Any help would be great!
Thanks
-Brownzie

Have you shared the drives that you want to access?

Kim Leece.

Check your TCP/IP settings. Make sure all clients are on the same network/subnet. Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

I am sharing all the drives from both machines. Also I just verified the subnets are the same.

Any other ideas?

Both machines have:-

Client for microsoft networks installed and primary logon
TCP/IP installed and IP addresses assigned from same range (eg, 192.168.0.1 & 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0).
File (and print) sharing installed and at least one resource shared.
Unique PC name
Are members of same workgroup.

Also, try swapping ports on the hub. If you had a crossover CAT5 cable you could try a direct connection (to rule outt he hub).

Both NICs & hub are same/compatible speeds (eg, all 10mbs, all 100mbs all 10/100mbs)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back