Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking via NIC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

xraytek

Technical User
Aug 29, 2008
I am looking to network two computer via NIC and am having difficulty setting up via winxp network setup. The network setup keeps informing me of a disconnected cable. Both NIC ports can access the internet directly, but can not see eachother? My question can I network two computers through the NICs and why does the network wizard from either end think they are unplugged, disconnected?

Thanks for your expertise!

How are they reaching the internet directly? At the same time?

Two computers networking between them directly require a crossover cable.

Two computers connecting to the internet at the same time over a single connection normally require a router with a switch or hub.

Then there are some network settings.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

They can both acess the internet independently, that is to say the NIC's are working. They just do not see eachother or network wizard does not recognize them when they are plugged in. There are three NIC cards and two computers. The desktop has two and the the other controling a CNC machine has the other. I am tired of running a usb or 31/2 floppy to transfer work files(.cnc) to the cnc machine. I just think there is enough hardware between the two machines to get a LAN working. I have heard tell of the cross over cable, but was informed it would work without. It is not neccessary to have internet on the cnc machine but I do not see why not.

Thanks for your help

I would have preferred that you tell us that they are reaching the internet independently via a router connecting to a DSL modem as that contains the keywords about a possible setup. But telling us what is on the other end of the network cables will suffice and we will figure it out as we go along.

In parallel with this discussion you could do a google search for the error message. Links there will give you several possible solutions. I'm suggesting this as you can get almost instantaneous resolutions rather than waiting sometimes days here.

Networking is normally accomplished by making sure the network address on both machines is in the same range, both machines are part of the same workgroup, network sharing is enabled, and machine assets are shared as needed. This is the theory. Actual practice may involve several possible glitches.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back