Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

diulasing

Technical User
May 10, 2003
CA
I am trying to networking two computers, a PIII and a P200 with Netgear kit SB-104 ( 2 FA330x NICs and a 4 plugs hub).
I use the hub's A-plug to my P200 (FA330x), C-plug to PIII (D-link DFE-530TX or FS330x) and D-plug to cable MODEM, I can have both computers access the NET. As I am allow 2 ISP addresses, I have no problem there, but I cannot get the computers talk to one another.
I try the 'auto' setup and I try the 192.168.0.1 and .0.2 too with no luck. they just don't see each other in 'network neighbourhood'.
Any suggestions will be appriciated.
john Sr

First, can you ping them? If so, how about a pathping? What are the operating systems? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

You will not be able to use the ISP provided IPs on both machines and network them without using the LMHOSTS feature of Windows Networking. The IPs you are trying to use are "public" IPs, and the LMHOSTS feature will let you "privatize" them for Netbios name resolution.

bcastner,
Can you elaborate more on the LMHOSTS feature !
How to set it up ?
Just find out that my P200 in 'sharing' in 'connection' does not show any NIC card in 'connect to the net'. It only shows my FA330x in the 'LAN' column.
Any way to add that in ?
Thankyou

Sorry, been following those threads as suggested.
Guess the more I try those recommandations, the more confused I am. At one time my PIII can access the P200's share files, so I go and set up the P200 the same way. Then coming back to the PIII to try to access share files, everything back to square one. So is the P200 too.
I think I will leave this for a while to clear my head and try again later.
Thankyou guys.
Do not go too far away from this thread though.
john Sr

Operating systems? Need more details for more awnsers. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Both are running W98 se.
As my ISP allow 2 IP addresses, I can get on NET two machines at the same time through a Netgear hub and a cable MODEM.
My PIII has a D-Link, a Netgear NICs and the P200 a Netgear NIC. But I can only get them working D-link to one port in the hub and Netgear to one port and uplink to the cable MODEM.
If I try Netgears to ports of hub and D-Link to cable MODEM, then my P200 cannot get on NET or share files.
I tried what settings suggested in the above links, but no go.
Like I said, may be I hope by walking away for a while and come back to re-do the settings, miracle will happen.
Will keep you posted.
john Sr

Hi all,
See, a FEW days off to cool off will make things right.
I know, I know its been a month, but I got my computers talking to each other now. Its just some little different in settings in TCP/IP kept them seeing each other.
Thankyou all for your helps.
john Sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back