Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking through a LAN Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

j118

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
CA
I'm trying to network my Win XP Laptop to my Win 2000 home PC through a direct cable line without a router. I've set up both computers to have TCP/IP, my laptop has internet connection through a USB line, the other computer doesn't. Is there a way that I can network the two computers and allow my home PC to have internet connection through the USB cable hooked onto my laptop? I've tried manually setting up my two computer's ip addresses to be 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3 for the laptop and the home pC respectively. Pinging from one computer to another, I got no response. Both see each other as if the cable line has not been connected at all (although the cable line is in perfect condition). Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

-- Ginger

Internet Connection Sharing; try the sharing 'wizard'.

Andy.

How are you connecting the computers? If with network cards is the cat5 cable you are using a cross over cable? If not it wont work, you need a cross over cable if there are no switches or hubs present.

If you are connecting the computers with usb cables then you will have to use a usb hub between the computers.

Yes, use a crossover cable and the XP's ICS wizard. Trying to use XP's Internet connection sharing and manually assigned IP's will give you fits.

A couple of other things...
Make sure the cards are compatible. If you've got an older card in your 2000 machine than the one on your xp machine, you may have problems.
Also, if you're using firewall software, make sure that you've allowed the ip addresses of the machines in each other's firewall configs.

Good luck

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back