Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking / Shares / Logon Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodonnel

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2001
CA
Hi. I am setting up a small network (5 CAL) for a friends company. The server is Advanced Server 2000 on a Dell. The config is

standalone server ( not a domain controller or AD )
win 95 clients
tcp and netbui
clients are Microsoft Networking, no NT validation, with a workgroup name only.
static ip assignment on all machines

Current status is that the shares are connected at login time using a map drive and reconnect approach, I would prefer to use scripts for reliability, so my questions are:

I am confused about logon scripts and shares .
- where do logon scripts reside, client or server
- does a user need a share on it's own home directory to
use it
What does a sample login script look like, I think I should be using net use F: //machinename/share but I need help with script locations and so forth.

Thanks for your help.

for win 2k server the script should be in the c:\winnt\sysvol\sysvol\(domainname)\scripts
folder - ie domainname = home.local or something.

also you need to have the clients set to logon to an nt server in client for ms networks. have a user account created for the particular user that will be logging on. in the user account properties for that user, type the name of the script (logon.bat for instance) in the script box.
win 2k server automatically looks in the path above for that script file. you can put the file in an alternate location as long as you type the path with the file in the scripts box.

the shares that are mapped with the script need to have sharing enabled. you can set permissions to allow who ever you want to access that folder, but it needs to be shared.

hope this helps

dhuggins

Hello,

I would like to know if kodonnel's issue was solved and how it was done. I have the same question, but can't make it work. The answer given in dhuggins' reply shows directories that exist in a PDC or BDC, but since my small network has neither of these I wonder what folder to use. Should I just create it as shown?

If you do not have active directory running you wont have a sysvol.So create a folder with whatever name you want, and put the batch file there and input the path to that folder location.

I chose a client in Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Users. I clicked on properties and under the Profile tab I entered the name of a batch file in Login Script. I tried to enter an explicit path with the filename, but Windows complained saying it had to be a relative path. So, what is it relative to? Windows must be assuming a location already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back