Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycaine

Programmer
Feb 8, 2003
CA
Ok...

I have a Desktop and a Laptop, both running WinXP Home. The Desktop is hardwired to the Linksys Wireless Router, and the Laptop uses a Linksys Wireless card to connect. Up until a few days ago I had both running fine using an external DSL modem, both could access the internet, and both could 'see' each other on the network and access files from each other (when both turned off their software firewalls).

A few days ago I was forced to lose my DSL connection, and so having removed the extraneous hardware I noticed that the computers couldn't 'see' each other any more for file sharing, I presume this should still be possible through the Router (since it worked before?)?

I sat down and re-ran the Network setup wizard on each computer, set the Workgroup name to the same thing, made sure each had their own Computer Name, and reset the Router assuming something had gotten screwy.

Both computers, once 'networked' can see themselves, and can 'ping' themselves quite happily all day, but neither can see the other, nor can either ping the other. There was an issue with the Desktop at one point that the 'Computer Browser' service had become switched off, so this was corrected, but neither can see the other still, which means I cannot share files nor printers...

I was hoping to share the dialup connection on one of them with the other, but can't get them to recognize each other! Is this the Router's doing? Do I need to switch back to an old fashioned Switch? Is there a setting I'm missing either on the computers or in the Router itself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I wasted most of the weekend working on this issue, and the two computers STILL cannot see each other!

Thanks in advance!

T.C.

Ooooops!!

Think I posted this in the wrong forum, please disregard here, have reposted in the Linksys Networking Solutions forum...

Apologies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back