Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Probmels

Status
Not open for further replies.

muos

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2003
GB
I'm running win 2k server with a 56k modem, I have 2 PC's that hang off the server they all run though a smc 100meg switch.
I have the sever setup as a domain controller

Server
IP 10.10.10.2 | Subnet 255.255.255.0
Preferred DNS 10.10.10.2

PC One
IP 10.10.10.1 | Subnet 255.255.255.0 | Gateway 10.10.10.2
Preferrred DNS 194.105.166.1
Alternate DNS 194.105.166.30 This is a local DNS Server

PC Two
IP 10.10.10.3 | Subnet 255.255.255.0 | Gateway 10.10.10.2
Preferrred DNS 194.105.166.1
Alternate DNS 194.105.166.30 This is a local DNS Server

The internet sharing works fine. The problem I’m now having is my network is running slow when I browse to folders on the network it takes like 5 to 8 sec to connect. Can any one tell me why? Or is there a better way to set up the network. Hope someone can help.

o(-_-)o Neffs

use forwarders on your local dns server (10.10.10.2) and fill in the isp's dns servers as forwarders

configure pc one en pc two as dns clients of your server
by filling in as preferred dns 10.10.10.2

browsing your network should run smoothly

regards

/Bart

What OSes you have on your clients?
194.x is your public address?
How can be "local DNS" server?
Where is the router? How's configured? How the clients are accessing internet? Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Guy's I'm lost. I have only been workin in IT for 2 months.

The Server is Win2k Server
PC 1 is win xp pro
PC 2 is win 2k pro

One of the IT guy's in the office told me to it up like how I explaned. I not relay know how to set it up. All I wnat to do is share internet from the server to the pc's. I don't have router I only have a switch. Can you sugest a better way to setup the network. Thnaks for you help

o(-_-)o neffs

As I see your network is small.
Maybe you are already using NAT or its litle brother Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).
For a small network ICS can be enough, and will not ask you to do any special configurations. Just activate it on your server, then set your clients to use automatically assigned IP.
If you are using NAT, then there are few other things that you have to deal to. I don't know if you are using AD or not. If you are using, then for sure you need an internal DNS server. That server must not be a root server. (should not be authoritative for the zone "."). Then you have to configure to forward unknown queries to an external one. Configuring NAT, there is also an option there about resolving names for clients (NAT/Properties/Name resolution). There check "Cliens using DNS".
Tell me what you did there,. and I can help you more.
But, as advice: use ICS. IS easy and is suitable for your configuration. Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back