Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking problems with a new CPU 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

th201

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US
When a new cpu was up and running, the moment I plugged in the ethernet cable I could see and access the folders of the new cpu from any other computer on the network. I was able to add the network printers and had no problems. However, someone ran the network wizard to add the new cpu into the existing work group. When the work group name was assigned and the wizard had finished,the new cpu could not see or connect to any of the cpu's on the network and vice versa. I have run the wizard again multiple times and have made sure that all the networking properties (TCP/IP , file and printer sharing) have been installed but still cannot connect to the network. I can see the new cpu when I click on "view workgroup computers" but cannot access it. Is there something that I may have missed? Or is there a way for me to somehow remove what the network wizard has done and return it to a pre-wizard stage when it was on the network? I have not tried the system resotre option yet and would like to avoid that if possible. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

By cpu I take it you mean computer? (cpu = central processing unit - processor inside the computer).

I never run network wizard, as there are too many stories like yours, and as you said, it works out of the box! Assuming you haven't installed lots of software, I would do exactly as you suggest - system restore back to pre-wizard run.

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually meant to use PC but kept typing cpu. There have been a lot of programs installed already, however, if worse comes to worse then that may be the only option left to do but I am still hoping for another solution.

First we need to know a bit of your network. How is it setup? Is there a DHCP that hands out network settings autmatically? if so, how are the TCP/IP settings on the problem PC. Is it set to receive an IP automatically?

If there is no DHCP. are the TCP/IP settings reflecting the correct settings for the network. IP address is similar but not identical to other machines on the network, same Sub-Net mask etc...?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I'd assumed DHCP as it worked with no config - and XP is set to pick up automatically by default.

Can you ping other machines on the network?

If you run ipconfig from a command prompt, what does it return? (should give you machines ip address, subnet and gateway - if present. Do those values tally with the network you're trying to connect to?). If you access the network properties for the LAN, you can manually change the IP settings if necessary.

There have been a lot of programs installed already"

Was one of them a firewall that you have not configured correctly to allow LAN access?

Can you connect if you use Safe Mode with Networking?

I too would have suggested System Restore.

These are just general help articles.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Too simple to mention but easy to forget are the wonderful healing powers of a reboot after changing any Network settings.

The IP addresses are given automatically, I can ping all the PC's that are on the network. Now, if I click on "view workgroups", all the pc's show and I am able to access the shared files & printers but only through the "view workgroup" option. If I access My network places, there are some broken shortcuts which when clicked, nothing happens. THis PC is running norton 06, so I reconfigured the firewall/network settings by entering each ip address on the network so that they are registered as trusted addresses and in theory should not be blocked under any circumstances. Any suggestions for what I should do next?

If you can access the Workgroup, and the Shared files, then just delete the broken links from my Network Places. and let Windows recreate them. or recreate them yourself. Add Network Place There are nothing more than shortcuts to Shared resources.

In my opinion the Network Places folder is a useless feature. I never use it. So much so i just have a shortcut to Entire Network on my desktop, and navigate through the Workgroups to the resource i require. If I need it regularly I'll just map it to a drive.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back