Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw1234

Technical User
Feb 12, 2004
GB
I have 2 win XP Pro boxes and an ADSL router which were all connected together with a switvh. I recently replaced my old wired ADSL router with a new Netgear ADSL router with built in wireless access point, and then installed a wireless card in BOX1 (so I could remove the cable that ran through my house).

I decided to then link BOX1 to BOX2 using the existing switched ethernet network, with the intention of routing data for BOX2 via BOX1, however I can no longer browse the internet from BOX2, and even though I can ping BOX1 wireless cards IP address I cannot ping the wireless router.

The built in "networking wizards" have proved no good, and I have hit a brick wall, any suggestions anybody??

The built-in wizards in this instance will no help. If you can ignore the hardware specified (Linksys) and focus on what is being done in terms of disabling DHCP, setting base addresses, etc. the following article I believe is one of the better tutorials:
Three essentials:

. only one DHCP server;
. the physical (wired) connection;
. keep everything on the same logical network segment. i.e. everything uses the same base address of 192.168.x.x or whatever. Remember you only want 1 Gateway, and an identical Subnet Mask for all devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back