Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasBrown

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
ZA
Hello Guys and Girls,

I have a Win2k box with 2 network cards.

Card 1 Network settings
IP 192.168.0.4
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.0.1

Card 2 Network Settings
IP 169.254.188.97
Subnet 255.255.255.254
Gateway None

Card 1 works 100% and I have no issues. Card 2 network settings, when I look at teh properties of the network is sending packets not receiving anything.

I have change network cables and network cards and it still doesnt work. I have swopped hte settings around to have 1 card IP etc on network card 2 and visa versa and then network card 2 works and network card 1 is sending packets but no receiving data. This proves that that card and cable etc are working 100%.

What else could be causing this problem? I am not alittle confused.

Thanks in advance
Thomas

That second IP address is not a valid address. (and that subnet is just not right!) It's something like the "I give up" address. Try assigning an IP, subnet and gateway manually.

-Haben sie fosforos?
-No tiengo caballero, but I have un briquet.

I don't know what you're trying to accomplish with the 2 NIC's but :
If you've connected both nics to the same hub/switch, and connected that one to your cable modem,unless you have an ISP that gives you 2IP adresses, you will get only 1 card to work.
If you connect nic1 to the WAN, and nic2 to another pc , you can set up ICS to have your second pc share your internet connection.You will have to assign the second NIC a static IP adress ( 192.168.0.1 or so/255.255.255.0 )
If I were you I'd attach a broadband router to your ISP's modem , and then you'll get a dynammically assigned adress to both your nic's, these adresses will be delivered by the router who acts as an DHCP server

rgds,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back