Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking problem with Win XP PRO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliowizco

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
I have a little network of 3 PCs: one with Win XP, other with Win Me and other with Win98. Connect to Internet with ADSL and all three PC connect each other using a Hub. All computers connect to the internet directly. The Win Me and Win98 computers can "see" each other perfectly, but can not "see" the one with WinXP PRO and this one can not "see" the other two computers.I already used a Network Wizard in all computers, all of them have the same workgroup name: CASA and different PCs names. I removed the firewall protection on WinXP PRO PC, made a ping from this computer to those two and "vice versa" and work fine, stablished NETBEUI, IPX/SPX and of course TCP/IP protocols, etc...but not way I can make WinXP PRO "see" the others computers and vice-versa.

The only way I find is adding a new network place directing the place to the shared folders in the WinMe and Win98SE PCs, but that is not what I want. In a first place is too slow: I have to wait a loooonnng time so the WinXO PRO can "read" something in those shared folders in the others PC, and the second: I have to create new network place for each shared folder on each computer.

Principally I tryed to make all computers connect to internet between Win98SE PC, in other words, make Win98SE PC act like SERVER and in that way gain more control over the other two computers, but anytime I used a Network Wizard, this install in WinMe a gateway to use it like a telephone modem and this not work, of course, because I am using ADSL. And when I try to use a Network Wizard on Win98SE, he show this message: "Can't find a network device", but this is not true, because the NIC is present with all drives correctly installed and the demonstration is tha WIN98SE PC can "read" perfectly the WinMe PC and back. So if anybody have and idea of what is happend, if I have a "gremmling" living inside WinXP PRO computer or something, please help!!!!

Do you have or have you had Zone alarm installed? Even after the uninstall this program can cause problems unless some components are manualy removed (reg keys, DLL's etc). If thats the case go to Zonealarms site and read the removal instructions.

My suggestion would be to completely remove all firewall programs, get the network running and then reinstall the updated version of the firewall.

I had the same problem and only found out what it was after not being able to get active sync working on my xp machine but worked on my Win 2k box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back