Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

networking problem: Win ME to Win XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

laddie1997

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
GB
I am trying to network my notebook PC running Win ME and my Win XP desktop. The ME note book was previously networked to the PC running Win 98.

The XP machine indicates a N/W connection and can see and browse the notebook, but the ME notebook cannot see the XP machine, although it can access the Internet (ICS) via the n/w connection and the XP machine.

I have run the network trouble shooter on the notebook and all the obvious things like workgroup names and folder sharing have been checked/enabled. Has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dave Allen

Is it that you cannot browse the machine, or you are getting security errors? Two different problems.

1. If you cannot browse, go to start>find, and search for the computer name of the XP machine. Right click on it, and create a shortcut, which should be placed on the desktop. If you cannot even browse to the XP machine this way, let me know.

2. If you're able to browse the XP machine, but having difficulty accessing the shares you have created, then you probably just need to create a user name and password on the xp computer, that matches the login you are using on your ME computer.

Matt J.

No security errors, but the ME machine cannot find the XP computer's name by start/find/search.

Many thanks

Most successful approach I've had with 9x/ME machines having network problems is to completely remove the networking hardware (ie, from device manager)/software & then reinstall it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back